Member Spotlight | Overcoming Heartbreak

Member Spotlight | Overcoming Heartbreak

Have you ever suffered from a heartbreak? Meet Tyler G. of Dallas, TX, who found himself at an all-time low after his 7-year relationship came to a brutal end. He felt completely lost and suffered from overwhelming depression and anxiety. Tyler became so insecure with himself, that he didn’t know what to do – until he came to the point where he knew he had to change, take action, and gain control of his life again. That’s what brought him through the doors of LA Fitness back in December of 2016.

From Negative to Positive

At the start of Tyler’s fitness journey, he weighed in at 250 lbs. with a size 40 waist. Performing everyday tasks started to become challenging, and he was ready to change that. Tyler noticed that the more he stepped into the gym and trained, the more he started to see his body change, and not only that, but his mind started to transform too. He began eating healthier foods and substituted all the negatives he faced with positives. He fell in love with the process and soon found himself going to the store and checking the nutrition facts on everything he was buying. His diet started consisting of high protein, healthy carbs, and plenty of veggies. Not only that, but Tyler cut out all fried foods, fast food, sodas and sugar that he was used to. He had become determined to change the way he looked and felt, and he wasn’t about to give up

“The body is a very fascinating being, and you can literally transform the way you look, by exercising and eating healthy […] once the process starts to unfold you will fall in love with the lifestyle.”

Tyler G.

LA Fitness Member

A Whole New Life

Tyler trains every day now, sometimes even twice a day. He has learned that taking control of his own health and exercising regularly can help benefit so much, both mentally and physically. Since beginning his fitness journey with LA Fitness, Tyler has gained a passion for fitness and healthy living. He hopes to take what he’s learned and use it to help inspire and motivate others to do the same. Every time Tyler steps into the gym, he sees it as a battle he holds against himself. He put it as, “it’s me vs. me and I’m never going to lose, and after my workout I just feel so satisfied.” Tyler now weighs 180 lbs. and says that his size 32 shorts are now a little loose!

“It has totally changed my whole life. I have gained self-confidence in myself to believe I can do anything I set my mind to. The gym has allowed me to overcome so much adversity in my life, and I am so thankful for that. It has given me peace in my life, and for me that is the ultimate achievement.”

Tyler G.

LA Fitness Member

The Future

Tyler plans to keep pushing himself and learning more about himself through a consistent training regimen. He hopes to soon enter a physique competition and perhaps one day become a sponsored athlete. Tyler also hopes to one day become a trainer and use his own personal success story to inspire and help change others for the better.

This article is not meant to be construed as medical or nutritional advice. Consult with your physician before beginning a new fitness or dietary regimen.

Recommended Reading

LA Fitness Holiday Hours 2021

LA Fitness will be open for parts of the Holiday Season! Modified clubs hours are below!Holiday Hours (U.S.) Friday, December 24th: 8AM - Noon Saturday, December 25th: Closed Friday, December 31st: 8AM - 6PM Saturday, January 1st: 8AM - 6PM   Holiday Hours...

LA Fitness, Easter hours, LA Fitness Easter hours
LA Fitness Easter Hours 2021

LA Fitness will be open on Easter Sunday, April 4th 2021! Modified clubs hours are below!Easter Sunday Hours Sunday, April 4th (U.S. & Canada) Club Hours: 8AM - 4PM Regular hours will resume on Monday, except in Canada (Alberta clubs be open from 8AM to 10PM,...

Commit to Fit Featured Member Goals

Commit to Fit Featured Member Goals

Commit to Fit

Do you have a fitness goal? Let us know here! To learn more about Commit to fit, click here.

Goals, Commitments, Community

Commit to Fit is a program designed to help members stick to their fitness goals. In fact, studies show, those who write down their goals accomplish significantly more than those who do not write their goals.* Share yours with us today in the Commit to Fit form below!** You may even be featured in a future Commit to Fit post. Shown below, are some of our most recent members who have committed to their fitness goals.

Paige C.

Paige C. is working on toning up and shoulders! A goal can only be hit if you refuse to never give up!

Alicia H.

Alicia H. wants to keep active during her pregnancy! Way to go! Congratulations on your soon-to-be new addition.

Lucia F.

Lucia F. is maintaining her goal of keeping in shape – keep up the hard work! It pays off.

Ernst C.

Ernst C. wants to be a lean 260 lbs.! Nothing like hard work and determination to keep you focused on your goal, Erst – great job!

*Goals Research Summary conducted by Dr. Gail Matthews of the Dominican University of California, statistics retrieved, September 9, 2016.

**Selected submissions will be featured on the LA Fitness blog and possibly other LA Fitness digital media entities & websites. By making a submission, you hereby grant LA Fitness a non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide, irrevocable license to use and make copies of the contents of such submission for any purpose and in any medium whatsoever, and you hereby waive and relinquish any copyright or other intellectual property right you may have in the contents of such submission and your right to pursue any claim for LA Fitness’s violation of those intellectual property rights   

Recommended Reading

LA Fitness will be open for parts of the Holiday Season! Modified clubs hours are below!Holiday Hours (U.S.) Friday, December 24th: 8AM - Noon Saturday, December 25th: Closed Friday, December 31st: 8AM - 6PM Saturday, January 1st: 8AM - 6PM   Holiday Hours...

LA Fitness will be open on Easter Sunday, April 4th 2021! Modified clubs hours are below!Easter Sunday Hours Sunday, April 4th (U.S. & Canada) Club Hours: 8AM - 4PM Regular hours will resume on Monday, except in Canada (Alberta clubs be open from 8AM to 10PM,...

Member Spotlight | A Life-Changing Diagnosis

Member Spotlight | A Life-Changing Diagnosis

Julie W., of Phoenix, AZ, shared that in her “former” life she was a juvenile detention officer, PE teacher, and trainer/fitness instructor. Self-described as “being stronger than the average ‘joe’-sephine”, an aggressive Breast Cancer diagnosis threw this typically tough power woman into a spiral of depression and despair. Julie’s diagnosis couldn’t have come at a worse time, as she was already struggling with the recent loss of her two sisters, and now she was struggling for her own life.

Thankfully, the combination of surgery, chemotherapy and radiation worked. Unfortunately, it also resulted in a blood clot in Julie’s jugular, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), and Neuropathy. Separately, Julie was also struggling with Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD), arthritic joints, and anxiety and depression. Still, Julie was determined to not give up. In her words, “death is an obvious eventuality, but healthily growing older is a better prognosis.”

Before Julie’s diagnosis she was a heavy lifter who spent most of her spare time in the gym, staying active. Since then she has turned into a different type of gym-goer, knowing that movement and exercise are now mandatory for healthy living, and not just a fun pastime. Julie was almost forced into changing her fitness routine once she started undergoing treatments. While she was no longer able to focus on heavy weights, she turned her attention to enhanced cardio and increasing her flexibility.

LA Fitness group fitness classes became the perfect fit for what Julie needed. She shared that the classes offered her “cardio-vascular improvement, coordination and control, brain and muscle memory, musicality and performance artistry, emotional outlet, camaraderie and so much more.” She enjoys classes like Body Works classes and Yoga, but one class stood apart from the rest – Zumba®. Julie shared that Zumba® is one of the primary reasons why she’s made LA Fitness her second home.

In fact, Julie enjoys the classes so much that she travels to various LA Fitness clubs within the Phoenix area to follow some of her favorite instructors! She’s even enjoyed participating in LA Fitness Zumba® classes while on vacation in other states! Julie shared that trainers like Justin, Natalie, Briana and Treena, should be applauded for their personable demeanors, motivating attitudes and caring mindsets. Each of the Zumba® instructors she admires has their own unique flavor and talent that they bring to their classes.

“Come dance with me, what do you have to lose besides the weight?”

Justin R.

Group Fitness Instructor , LA Fitness

“Zumba® allows me to bring a little bit of joy into someone’s life, one dance step, one song, one class at a time.”

Treena B.

“Don’t work out to escape your life, work out to embrace your life.”

Brianna B.

“Music is the heartbeat to the soul.”

Natalie Q.

Julie found strength and fun in Zumba® group fitness classes. She found friends in some of the talented Zumba® instructors she’s met along the way, and she encourages everyone to try out a class near them. If Zumba® isn’t your cup of tea, there are plenty of other group fitness options to keep you active and feeling motivated. It’s a great way to keep in shape, have fun, and be encouraged from group fitness instructors. Find a class near you by clicking here!

Group fitness class schedules and offerings vary by location.

Recommended Reading

It’s LA Fitness’ 33rd Anniversary!

It’s LA Fitness’ 33rd Anniversary!

As LA Fitness celebrates its 33rd anniversary, we are sharing our top 33 articles for your enjoyment! Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comment section below, we would love to hear from you!

Below are some of our favorite fitness articles, which range from top sport and fitness trends from around the world, to an interactive LA Fitness quiz, and even the first episode of our recently launched Ask A Trainer series! Check out the posts below for some helpful fitness tips and advice to keep your fitness game strong and your knowledge of fitness even stronger.

Who doesn’t love food? It’s tasty, it’s necessary, and we need it to sustain healthy lives. However, most of us lack a deeper understanding of how food actually affects our body. Our registered dietitian, along with a staff of knowledgeable writers, work on providing nutrition articles to help bridge the gap between food fact and fiction. Check out some of our top nutrition articles below, and if you’re still left with nutrition questions of your own, don’t hesitate to ask your own here!

Health and wellness directly correlate with fitness and nutrition, so what can you do to help promote a healthy body? Check out our wellness articles below for helpful tips on keeping your body at its best, both inside and out.

We all have our days where it seems like heading to the gym and eating healthy seems harder than others. Use the inspirational member spotlight stories below to help keep you feeling motivated to hit your fitness goals – we believe in you!

Recommended Reading

Member Spotlight | Finding Your Inner Superhero

Member Spotlight | Finding Your Inner Superhero

My story begins a year before I actually joined LA Fitness. In 2016, I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. After consulting at length with my doctor about how I could have contracted diabetes, we settled on two things: I was probably already pre-diabetic, and most importantly, the stress of my mother’s death probably led me there.

In February of 2016, my mother’s doctors informed her and our family that she had only 6 weeks to live and subsequently set us up with a home hospice care provider. As time progressed, she deteriorated and so as predicted, she passed in her sleep at home on April 11th 2017. In large part, it was due to a bad heart but she had diabetes as well.

It took a while to process all of that and then a couple of months later I found out about my own diabetes. Working with my doctor, I started a regimen of prescription medication to get my diabetes under control. I went to special classes that talked about diabetes and special diets. One thing that was stressed in the classes was that losing weight would aid in my treatment. I tried doing things at home for several months but I wasn’t all that successful. I finally broke down and decided to visit my local LA Fitness in La Habra, CA.

I meet with one of their representatives, and we settled on a membership with the addition of a trainer as well. There must have been an angel looking out for me when I got assigned my trainer. Her name is Brianna H., or Bree as she likes to be called. I cannot tell you have happy I am to have Bree as my trainer. She is a huge reason that since I have started I have lost 10 lbs. as well as 3 inches from my waist. I have also gained muscle mass and have become toned – I love to flex my biceps now!

Bree is completely invested in my success. She’s my drill sergeant and cheerleader combined. She has me working hard and I like that because I know she wants me to succeed. I will work out at times by myself as well and I can see the difference. I’m just not as determined without her constant encouragement urging me on. She corrects my posture and reinforces my positive outlook and is always checking in to make I can handle the weight. She knows that I am sixty years old and that I hadn’t worked out literally for decades, so while she pushes me onward she’s also sensitive to where I’m at as I progress in my workouts. I consider her to be not just my personal trainer but also more like my personal superhero.

Through her strong suggestions, I have even begun to change my eating habits. I’ve added salads to my diet and I try to manage portion controls better. I still need to get better but with Bree’s input I hope to make more strides and improvements in my overall health. I will forever be grateful to Bree and LA Fitness for the help that I have received and will continue to receive as time goes on. If I were to offer anyone advice, I would say that it’s never too late to reinvent yourself and it’s okay to ask for help. Get a trainer and trust that they really want to help you succeed. It’s hard at times but anything that’s worth it is. I know that I’m worth the effort that I put into my workouts and I know that my Mom is smiling down on me on my journey.

Disclaimer: Some slight adjustments have been made to the member’s story for grammatical reasons, length, and/or clarity.

LA Fitness Living Healthy subscribe button

Want more? SUBSCRIBE to receive the latest Living Healthy articles right in your inbox!

Recommended Reading

SUBSCRIBE TO

LIVING HEALTHY

Be the first to know about exclusive

content, deals and promotions

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest