It’s National Donut Day!
Before reaching for one of your favorite donut styles, do you know how many calories you are consuming? Ignorance may be bliss, but too many tasty treats can start showing on the waistline. Have no fear – you can still celebrate the holiday and perhaps even indulge in one of your favorites. We have listed a few different methods below to help you work off that scrumptious splurge.
How many calories are in your favorite donut? *
Glazed Donut | 260 calories2
**You would need to walk at a brisk pace for about an hour and 10 minutes to burn around 260 calories.
Plain Donut | 320 calories1
**It would take approximately 30-35 minutes of kickboxing to burn about 320-325 calories.
Chocolate Glazed Donut | 340 calories3
**You would need to cycle at a moderate pace for about 45 minutes to burn roughly 340-350 calories.
Chocolate Cake Donut | 250 calories4
**It would take about 1 hour and 15 minutes of engaging in jumping jacks to burn off about 250 calories.
Jelly Donut | 270 calories6
**In order to burn about 270-275 calories you would need to do about 1 hour and 30 minutes of Pilates.
Sugar Donut | 280 calories5
**It would take about 1 hour and 20-30 minutes of constant sit-ups to burn roughly 280 calories.
Vanilla Crème Donut | 370 calories7
**You would need to engage in moderate rowing for approximately 1 hour and 40-50 minutes to burn off about 370 calories.
Sprinkle Donut | 290 calories8
**You would need to jump rope at a moderate pace for about 30 minutes to burn approximately 295 calories.
Donut hole | 59 calories9
**It would take about 20 minutes of yoga to burn about 50-60 calories.
Maple bar | 490 calories10
**You would need to run approximately 1 hour and 5 minutes to burn about 500 calories.
Apple Fritter | 350 calories11
**You would have to engage in about 45-55 minutes of a Zumba® class to burn approx. 350 calories.
Depending on body weight, gender, age and fitness level you may burn more or less calories. If you want to learn the exact amount, there are online calculators that can give you an estimation of how many calories your body will burn based on the exercise you complete. Simply input your personal fitness information and you’ll have a good idea of how many calories you can burn.
*Calorie counts are approximate and may be higher or lower depending on size, brand, and ingredients.
**Based on a 130 lb. female
- Healthstatus.com, Inc. “Calories Burned Calculator.” HealthStatus. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 May 2017.
- “Diet Tool: Calories Burned Calculator for Common Exercises and Activities.” WebMD. WebMD, n.d. Web. 24 May 2017.
- I. “Calories in Dunkin Donuts Plain Cake Donut.” Calories in Dunkin Donuts Plain Cake Donut – Calories and Nutrition Facts | MyFitnessPal.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 May 2017.
- II. “Calories in Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Original Glazed Doughnut | Nutrition, Carbohydrate and Calorie Counter.” CalorieKing. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 May 2017.
- III. “Calories in Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Chocolate Iced Glazed Doughnut | Nutrition, Carbohydrate and Calorie Counter.” CalorieKing. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 May 2017.
- IV. “Sharing the Joy around the World.” Krispy Kreme – Glazed Chocolate Cake Doughnuts | Chocolate Cake Donuts. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 May 2017.
- V. “Nutrition Guide.” Dunkin Donuts, 23 May 2017. Web. 24 May 2017.
- VI. Ibid
- VII. Ibid
- VIII. Ibid
- IX. Bruso, Jessica. “How Many Calories Do Doughnut Holes Have?” LIVESTRONG.COM. Leaf Group, 19 June 2015. Web. 24 May 2017.
- X. “4 Types of Doughnuts You Should Always Avoid / Nutrition / Healthy Eating.” 4 Types of Doughnuts You Should Always Avoid. Fitday, n.d. Web. 24 May 2017.
- XI. “Sharing the Joy around the World.” Krispy Kreme – Apple Fritters | Apple Fritter Donut. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 May 2017.