Vacations can sometimes be just the break you need. They help us de-stress and relax. However, too much down time can lead to an unhealthy lifestyle. Just because you are on vacation doesn’t mean your health choices have to go downhill. Be mindful of the nutrition and fitness choices you make while away to help maintain a healthy lifestyle. Of course, you don’t have to have a strict diet and exercise routine while you’re in vacation mode, but it’s important that you continue to care about your health while you’re away.
Here are some tips for staying healthy while on vacation:
- Stay Active – Try engaging in activities that will help keep you moving. Book activities where you’ll be staying active or on the go. Explore the area. Even the simplest of movement is better than sitting around or spending too much time laying around in bed.
- All Things in Moderation – It’s vacation, so let’s be honest, you’re not going to be healthy 24/7. Most likely a tasty beverage or two is in your future, and yummy buffets tend to dominate the dining options when traveling. Try limiting yourself to only a plate full of your favorites and keep drinking within a healthy limit.
- Bonus tip: Also, when eating out, ask the waiter to pack up half the meal and eat it later. This may help you resist the urge to overeat. For more helpful nutrition tips check out our post How to Eat Healthy When Dining Out.
- Walk, Walk, & Walk Some More – It may be in your best interest to walk as often as possible, and whenever it’s possible. Opt for traveling via foot instead of using public transportation and even consider opting out of renting a car. You’ll be burning extra calories as you walk without even realizing it!
- H20 On The Go – Make sure you drink plenty of water! Staying hydrated not only helps our bodies feel more full, but it helps keep them functioning properly. Not drinking enough water can lead to dehydration, which makes our bodies feel sluggish and can even make us sick. Avoid feeling lethargic while you’re away by always keeping some water with you.
- Pack Snacks – It’s important to keep some snacks on hand to help ensure your body has the energy it needs for all the vacation fun that lies ahead! Eating small, healthy snacks in between meals can also help keep your metabolism up. If your room has a fridge, you may want to keep some of these healthy go-to snacks on hand.
- Rest Up – Not getting enough rest can actually do a lot of harm. This is your vacation so make sure you’re letting your body get the rest and relaxation it deserves. Proper rest helps keep our bodies from getting overly exhausted and refreshes the body mentally as well.
- Take Fitness With You – The common rule while on vacation is to keep cell phones turned off so you can properly tune out. While that may be nice for 90% of your trip, you may want to consider streaming our free LA Fitness workout videos, which you can find on our YouTube channel*. They can help you stick to your fitness routine, even while you’re away.
If you prefer keeping your work out at the gym while you’re away, members with multi-club, multi-state access can enjoy over 650+ LA Fitness locations to help keep fitness at your fingertips. Another helpful tip is that if you are a part of our Pro Results® Training Program**, ask your trainer to help you create a fitness plan for your upcoming vacation. Remember, have fun while you’re away, but stay active too! To find a club near you, click here!
*Data charges may apply.
**Classes and amenities vary by location, and may be subject to an additional fee.