Member Spotlight | The Accomplishment of Getting a Little Healthier Every Day

Member Spotlight | The Accomplishment of Getting a Little Healthier Every Day

From the time she was born, Dana R. of Pottstown, Pennsylvania, struggled with an illness that her parents and doctors were trying to figure out. At the age of 4, Dana was taken to the Children’s Hospital in Philadelphia where she underwent genetic testing and was diagnosed with Prader-Willi syndrome. A few of the key characteristics of this disease are weak muscle tone, poor growth, and chronic overeating due to lack of an enzyme signaling that the body is full. In some cases, children can eat themselves to death.

Because of this, Dana has struggled with weight her entire life.

For a young girl, this can be particularly devastating. Now at 17 years old, Dana has managed to find a way to combat the disease by incorporating fitness into her life.

A New Approach

Dana and her mom, Darlene, had searched around their local area at several different gyms but still hadn’t selected one. Shortly after their initial search, an LA Fitness team member was passing out 1-week guest passes at a school event. Dana decided to take advantage of the opportunity and gave it a shot for a week. She immediately fell in love with the Zumba® classes and signed up for a membership.

Dana started attending group fitness classes regularly along with watching her diet and has succeeded in losing a remarkable 20 lbs. since she first started her journey towards a healthier life!

“Going to L.A. Fitness has made me feel so much better. I have gone from 140 pounds down to 120. I had surgery on my leg several years ago and it feels much better when I exercise and stretch it. I also have scoliosis and will most likely have to have surgery within the next year. The classes and machines make my back feel much better, and they also get me prepared for surgery by strengthening my core and muscles.”

Dana R.

LA Fitness Member

Dana’s excess weight came from a body fighting itself, but Dana has found a way to fight back harder. With the motivation she receives from group fitness classes and encouragement from those around her she now “has more confidence, looks great, and smiles more often!” shared her mom, Darlene.

Advice from Dana

Dana’s advice to all is never give up. She may have more difficulties than most, but that hasn’t stopped her from accomplishing remarkable achievements. Dana is an honors student who secured straight A’s last semester. She plays clarinet in the concert band and sings in the chorus at her school. She has her driver’s permit and has now lost 20+ lbs.! She never gives up, has defied many odds, and continues to surprise others with her steadfast hard work and optimism. Dana plans to attend college within the upcoming years.

With all of these accomplishments under her belt and many more still to come, we can’t wait to see just how far Dana will go!

Recommended Reading

LA Fitness Holiday Hours 2021

LA Fitness will be open for parts of the Holiday Season! Modified clubs hours are below!Holiday Hours (U.S.) Friday, December 24th: 8AM - Noon Saturday, December 25th: Closed Friday, December 31st: 8AM - 6PM Saturday, January 1st: 8AM - 6PM   Holiday Hours...

LA Fitness, Easter hours, LA Fitness Easter hours
LA Fitness Easter Hours 2021

LA Fitness will be open on Easter Sunday, April 4th 2021! Modified clubs hours are below!Easter Sunday Hours Sunday, April 4th (U.S. & Canada) Club Hours: 8AM - 4PM Regular hours will resume on Monday, except in Canada (Alberta clubs be open from 8AM to 10PM,...

LA Fitness Welcomes Service Animals

LA Fitness Welcomes Service Animals

A special message from LA Fitness: 

Transcription:

Do you or someone you know have a service animal? Then LA Fitness welcomes you. Our service animal practices are located at the front entrance of our gyms. So simply come on down to any LA Fitness location nationwide with your service animal and you’re all set. No further information or documentation is required. So come on down to the gym, we’ll see you here!

Recommended Reading

LA Fitness will be open for parts of the Holiday Season! Modified clubs hours are below!Holiday Hours (U.S.) Friday, December 24th: 8AM - Noon Saturday, December 25th: Closed Friday, December 31st: 8AM - 6PM Saturday, January 1st: 8AM - 6PM   Holiday Hours...

LA Fitness will be open on Easter Sunday, April 4th 2021! Modified clubs hours are below!Easter Sunday Hours Sunday, April 4th (U.S. & Canada) Club Hours: 8AM - 4PM Regular hours will resume on Monday, except in Canada (Alberta clubs be open from 8AM to 10PM,...

On Air: Welcome to The Living Healthy Podcast

On Air: Welcome to The Living Healthy Podcast

Have you heard? LA Fitness has officially launched its first ever podcast!

The Living Healthy Podcast acts as an extension of the Living Healthy blog but in an audio format. It’s the perfect entertainment for your drivetime commute, or for those who would rather listen to health and fitness advice rather than read about it.

Listeners will get on-demand health, nutrition, and inspirational advice to better assist them in reaching their personal fitness goals.

The inaugural episode focuses on the Top 5 Myths of Nutrition and features LA Fitness registered dietitian Debbie James.

Episodes can be found on iTunes, Google Play, TuneIn, Stitcher, and many others! Download the free LA Fitness mobile app to stream the podcast directly from our Living Healthy blog.

Jill Grueling, Executive Vice President of Operations at LA Fitness shared,

“We want to help cultivate a larger fitness network that would be able to help support and encourage each other to maintain healthier lifestyles. We believe the launch of the Living Healthy podcast will aid in providing another platform for our members and future members to stay motivated and inspired to live their best lives.”

What Are You Interested In?

Nutrition

Fitness

Motivational

We Want to Hear from You!

How are we doing? What do you want to hear about? Do you have an inspirational story you’d like to share with us on air? Send us your thoughts, questions, and stories to blog@fitnessintl.com or reach out to us on one of our many social platforms (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.) and use the tag #LivingHealthyPodcast.

You or your question could end up on the air!

Recommended Podcast Episodes 

The Silent Killer – Podcast Ep. 5

The Silent Killer – Podcast Ep. 5

Welcome to the 5th episode of the Living Healthy Podcast, presented by LA Fitness.

On this episode of Living Healthy, we’re covering high blood pressure, otherwise known as hypertension, and speak with experts in the field regarding this deadly silent killer.

How Are We Doing? 

Timecard Markers – The Silent Killer – Podcast Ep. 4

Introduction 

Begins at 0:01 

MOS (Man on the Street): 

Begins at 1:10 

Introduction of Dr. Warren Johnston, Cardiologist and President of OC Division of AHA (American Heart Association) and Director of the Women’s Health Center at St. Joseph’s Hospital 

Begins at 2:08 

AHA New Guidelines: 

Begins at 3:28 

Marijuana Use and High Blood Pressure (HBP): 

Begins at 5:40 

The Silent Killer: 

Begins at 8:10 

At What Age Does High Blood Pressure Begin? 

Begins at 8:38 

What Causes HBP? 

Begins at 9:33 

Nutrition’s Role on High Blood Pressure/Introduction of Debbie James, RDN 

Begins at 10:51 

Physical Activity’s Role on High Blood Pressure/Introduction of Pro Results® Trainer, Morgan Connors  

Begins at 15:01 

Is HBP Really Life or Death? 

Begins at 18:35 

This podcast should not replace any exercise program or restrictions, any dietary supplements or restrictions, or any other medical recommendations from your primary care physician. Before starting any exercise program or diet, make sure it is approved by your doctor.

Recommended Podcast Episodes 

Member Spotlight | Healthy Is a Way of Life

Member Spotlight | Healthy Is a Way of Life

Janelle G. of Gresham, OR struggled with weight her entire life. She would make excuses of being big boned or having a poor metabolism as her reason for being overweight, but that was not the case. It wasn’t that Janelle was inactive – in fact, she was athletic for most of her life. Although her weight frustrated her, it never really became an issue until later in life. In 2015, Janelle’s blood pressure was borderline for needing to take medications. She found herself struggling to get an airplane seatbelt on. She recalls a time when a flight attendant offered her a seatbelt extension before she had even tried putting her belt on. It was at that point she knew enough was enough, and she wanted to do something about it.

[Kimberly] inspires me by her knowledge, experience, and her support of my success. I always look forward to our sessions – not just because they benefit my body, but my mind and soul too. She continues to build my confidence and gives me the encouragement I need to keep going, even when life throws a few curveballs at you.
Janelle G.

Pro Results® Client

Like many others, Janelle made a New Year’s resolution to lose weight. In February 2016, she joined a local LA Fitness and began seeing Pro Results® Master Trainer, Kimberly D. One of the main things Janelle learned was that she had to make working out a part of her routine. She began working out 5 to 6 times a week, always in the morning because it helped start her day on the right foot. Aside from working out, Janelle began thinking about food differently. She began to understand that in order to obtain the results she wanted, fitness and nutrition went hand-in-hand.

Left: April 2015 | Right: November 2017

Two Years Later

After having first walked through the doors of LA Fitness two years ago, Janelle is down 65 lbs. and she’s keeping it off! She’s happy that now when she puts an airplane seatbelt on, she actually has to cinch it up a bit. While she has had great progress, she knows that her journey continues. Working out and staying healthy is part of her life now.

A Bit of Advice

“You have to make working out part of your daily routine. It truly has to be part of your life and your schedule, and you have to make time for it in order to achieve and maintain long term results.” – Janelle G., Pro Results® Client

Recommended Reading

SUBSCRIBE TO

LIVING HEALTHY

Be the first to know about exclusive

content, deals and promotions

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest