LA Fitness will be open on Easter Sunday, April 4th 2021! Modified clubs hours are below!Easter Sunday Hours Sunday, April 4th (U.S. & Canada) Club Hours: 8AM - 4PM Regular hours will resume on Monday, except in Canada (Alberta clubs be open from 8AM to 10PM,...
Fire up the barbecue, cue the sound of beach waves, and bring out that bikini from storage! Because on June 21st, 2017 summertime officially begins for the Northern Hemisphere.
But – what is summer solstice exactly?
The summer solstice occurs when our planet’s rotational axis is most tilted towards the sun. Because of this, it is the longest day of the year and we receive more sunlight today than any other day of the year. While summer solstice isn’t as widely celebrated as it once was, some places have kept traditions alive.
Summer Solstice Celebrations
- In Sweden, summer solstice is celebrated by eating the first strawberries of the season1 and marked with fun festivals involving flower crowns, maypoles, and tasty foods.
- In ancient Egypt, summer used to symbolize the start of the New Year!2
- Each year in Fairbanks, Alaska a baseball game known as the Midnight Sun Game is held from 10:30PM until sometimes as late as 2AM! Alaska Goldpanners’ general manager, Tom Dennis, jokes that his team doesn’t need caffeine because they have sunlight!3
- In New York City, a day-long yoga practice runs from 7AM until just before sunset. Not in NY? Not a problem! You can participate remotely via their live webcast.4
- A Southern California summer solstice celebration takes place in Santa Barbara, CA each year. It was started in 1974 by an artist and mime and has grown in popularity ever since.5
Splash Into LA Fitness
Now that you better understand what the summer solstice is all about, let’s talk about how you can celebrate the day! Try taking advantage of the extra time by heading to the gym early. Not a morning person? Perhaps take a break from the sun and head indoors to take a dip in one of our super refreshing LA Fitness pools*. After all, now that summertime is upon us, keeping cool is a must!
Try an Aqua Fit Group Fitness class* to beat the heat and switch up your typical workout routine.
To find an LA Fitness that offers these amenities, click here!
*Photos depict a typical LA Fitness facility. Classes and amenities vary by location.
- Almanac, Old Farmer’s. “First Day of Summer 2017: The Summer Solstice.” Old Farmer’s Almanac. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 June 2017.
- Than, Ker. “First Day of Summer: 4 Things to Know About the Summer Solstice.” National Geographic. National Geographic Society, 25 May 2017. Web. 12 June 2017.
- Cheapflights. “Top 10 Summer Solstice Celebrations Around the World.” The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 18 June 2015. Web. 12 June 2017.
The AHA has created an interactive tool that can help you identify your health risk according to your blood pressure level. Test your BP health today.