“It’s important for food to be satisfying as well as good for our health. This recipe features whole foods packed with essential vitamins, minerals and healthy fats, along with bold flavors and contrasting textures that make food exciting. Everyone loves tacos, and whether you’re an omnivore, a vegetarian, a vegan or anything in between, it’s clear that eating less meat in favor of more plant-based, locally sourced, and minimally processed foods [have] many health benefits and is more environmentally conscious. Plus, cooking more meals at home is a great way to make sure you’re eating quality ingredients, and it’s a great way to spend time with family and friends. Next time you’re in Nashville, come by The Wild Cow and try some more of our vegan food!”
The Wild Cow is located at 1896 Eastland Ave in Nashville, TN 37206. Open Sunday through Thursday from 11am to 9:00pm, excluding Tuesdays, and Friday and Saturday from 11am to 10pm. The Wild Cow is closed on Tuesdays. For the menu and additional details, please visit thewildcow.com.
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos from The Wild Cow
Photography provided by The Wild Cow
For the Dish
- 8 corn or flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
For the Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 3 sweet potatoes, sliced into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance or another vegan butter substitute
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Black Beans
- 2 cans black beans, not drained
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Lime Slaw
- 1/2 a head of green cabbage, thinly shredded and tossed in 1 T salt to wilt
- 1 bunch of cilantro, thick stems removed and coarsely chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
For the Jerk Sauce
- 1 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup Bragg’s aminos or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and minced
- 1/2 a white onion, minced
- 1 medium-sized ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1 head of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- Fill a large pot with water, cover, and set on medium high until it’s at a rolling boil.
- Add the diced sweet potatoes and replace the cover. Boil until tender but not mushy (10-12 minutes).
- Strain out the water and transfer the sweet potatoes to a large bowl. Add the Earth Balance or vegan butter substitute, brown sugar, and salt. Mash until mixed but still chunky.
- Add the black beans to a pot with the cumin, coriander, cayenne, and salt and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the shredded cabbage to a large bowl and mix with the cilantro and lime juice. Season with salt to taste.
- Blend all the ingredients for the jerk sauce in a blender until smooth.
- Toss the pumpkin seeds in a little olive oil and salt and toast in a pan until slightly browned.
- Warm your tortillas on a pan or over a flame and keep warm until your ready to assemble the tacos. When ready, add sweet potatoes, black beans, lime slaw, jerk sauce, and toasted pumpkin seeds and serve.
Chef Brian Okada of Water Grill shares his recipe for Tomato Avocado Salad with a light Poppy Seed Dressing. It's quick, it's easy, healthy and tasty!