“One of our goals with every new dish that we create is that we want to make an impact with big bright flavors but we also want our guests to leave Puesto feeling great. We feel that cooking with great quality fresh produce and ingredients is the only way to achieve that.”
Grilled Fish Tacos with Melon Salsa from Puesto
For the Habanero Crema
- 1 Habanero
- 2 cloves of garlic, in their husks
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons of ripe avocado (about ¼ each)
- 1 tablespoon Mexican Crema
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
For the Melon Salsa
- ½ cup Ripe cantaloupe, cut into ¼ inch cubes
- 1/3 cup Roma tomatoes, cut into ¼ inch cubes, about 2
- 1/4 cup diced Red Onion
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Kosher salt
- 1-2 Limes
- 1 Serrano chile
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb fresh white fish cut into 8 pieces
- Kosher salt
- Shaved Red Cabbage
- 1 ripe avocado
- Lime wedges for serving
For the Crema
- Heat a dry skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and habanero to the skillet.
- Rotate frequently until the habanero is golden brown on all sides and the garlic is brown and softened.
- The habanero should take about 5 minutes, the garlic should take about 12.
- Allow the garlic to cook until handleable and remove the skins and discard. Remove the stems of the habanero.
- Add the garlic, habanero, honey, crema, avocado, and lime juice to a blender jar along with a pinch of salt.
- Start the blender.
- Slowly stream in the oil through the top of the blender until combined.
- Taste and add more seasoning if necessary.
- Allow to cool completely.
For the Salsa
- Cut the tomatoes, cantaloupe, and red onion.
- Chop cilantro.
- Mince the serrano.
- In a mixing bowl combine the melon, red onion, tomatoes, 1 tablespoon of cilantro, the juice of 1 lime, a pinch of salt, and about 1/3 of the serrano.
- Taste the salsa.
- Add more salt if needed, and add more lime juice and serrano if desired.
For the Tacos
- Set a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 tsp water.
- Add tortillas to pan, about 4 at a time and cover to warm the tortillas through.
- Heat the remaining tortillas adding another ½ tsp of water.
- Transfer warmed tortillas to a cloth or foil and wrap to keep warm.
- Drop oil onto skillet. Place portioned fish in and sprinkle with salt.
- Cook for 1 1/2 minutes. Flip and cook 1 more minute depending on the thickness of the fish.
- While the fish cooks, place tortillas on plates. Place the fish on top tortilla.
- Garnish the fish with a slice of avocado and cabbage. Lightly spoon the habanera crema over the fish. Top with melon salsa over the habanero crema.
- Serve with lime wedges.
Yields 8 tacos.