Are you looking to sculpt your shoulders? You’re in luck! With this 1-2 combination of barbell & free weight exercises you’ll have shoulders that are as chiseled as an ancient Greek sculpture in no time. On a side note, if you’re just getting started with weight training, you’ll probably want to start with some machine shoulder exercises like the ones you’ll find in the article below!
Also, remember that you should focus on form first when performing these exercises. By doing so, you will significantly reduce the possibility of injury and help isolate your shoulder muscles to maximize your results.
- Position your hands just outside shoulder width apart with your palms facing away from you. The bar should be positioned a little below chin level.
- Press or push the bar upward.
- Lock out your elbows once your arms are fully extended above your head.
- Slowly lower the barbell back down to the starting position. If you cannot lower the bar in a controlled manner consider lowering the weight.
TOP TIP: Keep your shoulders back and your core tight.
TOP TIP: The shoulder press can be done while seated or while standing – the standing version places more emphasis on your core.
TOP TIP: Take this one slow. Starting out with low weight and mastering your form will greatly improve your results.
- Start by placing your hands shoulder width apart on the bar while keeping your elbows slightly bent. The bar should be resting near your waist or upper thigh.
- Slowly raise your arms in front of you while keeping your elbows slightly bent. Raise the bar until your arms are just above parallel to the ground, and then slowly return to the starting position.
TOP TIP: Don’t swing or use momentum to complete this lift! Your movements should be steady and controlled to isolate your shoulders and prevent injuries.
TOP TIP: If you find that one side feels stronger than the other, try forward dumbbell shoulder raises until both of your shoulders are equally strong.
That’s it! Combine these two exercises with dedication and persistence and you will soon have sculpted shoulders that will make you want to invest in more tank tops.
Also, don’t forget to check back with LIVING HEALTHY for more from our Barbells & Free Weights series! Follow this link to subscribe and make sure you don’t miss a single article: http://blog.lafitness.com/join-our-community/