Dumbbells 101 – Biceps
It is the favorite glamour muscle of many people, and though your biceps perform a relatively simple movement, it provides a major function. Not only do your biceps help bring things inward, toward your body, when you use your arms, but they are a secondary mover for most of the functions that involve your back muscles. So, sculpting your pythons is important for both looks and function.
Individual arm dumbbell exercises are a staple for training and defining your biceps. The independent movements of each arm, combined with weight and gravity, mimics many of the essential functions that utilize your biceps on a daily basis.
Though this is a 101 series for dumbbells, if you are brand new to working out, it might be best if you began with our Weight Machines 101 series before progressing to dumbbells. Check out the link below:
If you’re ready, let’s get started by teaching you the basics, when it comes to training your biceps using DUMBBELLS.
Tips for performing Biceps exercises:
- All Biceps exercises are performed by moving your hands and forearms toward your body.
- Do NOT sway, swing or use your back.
- Do NOT move your upper arms at your shoulder joint. Your shoulders and upper arms should remain locked in the same position during the entire exercise.
- Keep your wrist straight as you perform a biceps curl. There can be a tendency to let your wrist bend back due to the resistance while performing the exercise.
- ALWAYS choose a weight that you can safely control. If you are unsure about the appropriate weight for your fitness level, ALWAYS start light, learn the exercise and increase the weight as needed.
- Control the weight as you let it down away from your body in order to safely work the muscle group through the complete range of the exercise. This motion is called the negative or eccentric motion and it is NOT a time for you to relax.
- Flex and tighten your core and ab muscles during this exercise while maintaining proper posture.
Dumbbell Biceps Exercises
Kate Hudson arms, Ryan Reynolds arms, Ryan Reynolds biceps