This is the biggest calorie feast of the year! But can you really do that much damage in one day? In one day, probably not, but it can lead to a spiraling effect of uncontrolled eating from now until the New Year.
There are steps you can take to enjoy the holiday and still keep your waistline in check. Here are 10 tips to help steer you away from the waistline-destructive “Who cares, it’s the holidays” mentality.
1. Don’t skip breakfast and avoid overeating at Thanksgiving. Eat breakfast and don’t attempt to fast going into this meal or you’ll overeat for sure.
2. Move around, help do dishes, or take a walk. This will aid the digestion process and burn a few extra calories. Resist the urge to plop on the couch afterwards.
3. Make wise food choices so you enjoy Thanksgiving. Choose between the bread and dessert. One or the other, your choice.
4. Don’t deprive yourself of food, just reduce the amount you eat over Thanksgiving. Go ahead and get a dab of everything that you want to try; this will keep you from feeling like you missed out on something later. Moderation is the key.
5. Small plate = smaller portions = reduced calorie intake. Use a small plate. This keeps your portions in check. Sure, you can still pile high but that tends to get stares from other guests.
6. Eating slowly avoids overeating. Eat slowly and take a drink of something calorie-free in between bites. This will allow you time to tap into your body’s fullness factor before you have overdone it.
7. No seconds! Thanksgiving weight gains can be a result of second helpings. This should not be treated as an all-you-can-eat event.
8. Your weekly average intake is more important than one day’s intake, and you can balance it out if you are careful. Plan what you eat before and after Thanksgiving to avoid weight gain. Lighten up on your calorie intake a couple of days before and after.
9. Remove the temptation of eating Thanksgiving leftovers. If you are the host, divvy up the leftovers among the guests. You do not want to repeat this oh-so-good (but calorie-laden) fest any time soon.
10. Drink water. Drink plenty of water.
Follow these tips, avoid the scale for a couple of days afterwards and you will once again be thankful!