Fight Breast Cancer with Fitness – The Power of Pink
Breast cancer is the most common type of cancer found in women in the United States. Since 1990 the number of deaths from breast cancer is steadily declining[i], but there is still more that we need to do in order to defeat this disease.
Let’s give cancer a hard left-hook square in the face! Here is what you can do to help fight breast cancer, and reduce the risks associated with this disease.
- Live an active lifestyle – Research shows a correlation between increasing physical activity and decreasing the risk of breast cancer. Get into the gym, go to a group class, train for a 5K or join a sport; just be sure to exercise at least 30 minutes a day. Not only will you help decrease your risk of breast cancer, but you also gain a multitude of other health benefits that come with an active body.
- Limit alcohol consumption – There is a clear link between an increase of alcohol consumption and an increased risk of breast cancer when you routinely have more than one or two drinks. It is recommended that women limit their intake to no more than one drink per day.
- Watch your weight - Obesity is another factor that can increase the risk of developing breast cancer, especially for women post-menopause. Being more active helps you burn more calories and stay at a healthy weight, and limiting your alcohol consumption can knock off extra empty calories. Be sure to watch what you eat in order to maintain a healthy weight for your body type so your body can work efficiently and effectively.
- Breast Cancer Screening - The best way to beat breast cancer is with early detection. If you have any concerns or questions, see your doctor to find out which option is best for you. Catching breast cancer at an early stage greatly increases the chances of being cured.
- Making Strides[ii]- LA Fitness is partnered with the American Cancer Society to support the initiatives of Making Strides Against Breast Cancer. Go to www.lafitness.com/makingstrides for more information. You can find events, participate and donate all across the country to help raise money for the American Cancer Society. Here are three ways the American Cancer Society is helping people with breast cancer:
- Groundbreaking Research - To find, prevent, treat and cure the disease.
- Comprehensive Support - One in every two women newly diagnosed with breast cancer look to the American Cancer Society for support.
- Access to Mammograms - Helping ensure access to mammograms for women who need them so more lives are saved.
For more information or to donate go to www.lafitness.com/makingstrides NOW!
This article should not replace any medical recommendations from your primary care physician. Before starting any exercise program or diet, make sure it is approved by your primary care physician.
[i] Information obtained from The American Cancer Society at cancer.org
[ii] Information from Making Strides Against Breast Cancer at http://makingstrides.acsevents.org/
Posted on May 24, 2012, in Health, LA Fitness, LA Fitness Blog - Living Healthy, la fitness reviews, LA Fitness Reviews - About and tagged american cancer society, blog la fitness, breast cancer, cancer, fitness, fitness club, gym, Health, LA Fitness, LA Fitness articles, la fitness blog, la fitness comments, LA Fitness news, la fitness review, la fitness reviews, lafitness.com, Living Healthy, making strides, power of pink. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.